86-CRYO variable temperature cryostat with GlideLOCK™ alignment system
This VSM cryostat is designed for rapid sample cooling with either LHe or LN2 as well as easy sample insertion and interchange. It allows you to take measurements from 5.5 K to 450 K using LHe and from 85 K to 450 K using LN2. A single-point measurement can be taken at 4.2 K (LHe) and at 77.6 K (LN2). The sample is suspended in a proprietary insulated tube constructed of nonmagnetic material.
Like our full suite of variable temperature options, 86-CRYO cryostat utilizes the GlideLOCK alignment system to simplify option insertion and produce repeatable sample saddling and ensuring optimum noise floor.
The cryostat design provides the user the capability to perform measurements economically over nearly the entire accessible temperature range with a single cryostat. The transfer line is included.
Included with the 86-CRYO:
- Combination LHe/LN2 cryostat with GlideLOCK mount
- N2 transfer line
- Cryogen transfer kit
- Instrument cables and related accessories
- Sample rods and holders
- Wall mount bracket to store option when not in use
Supplemental 86-CRYO equipment requirements:
- Lake Shore 86-VTA temperature option kit
- A mechanical vacuum pump (Lake Shore E2M or similar) capable of achieving a pressure below 0.67 Pa (5 × 10-3 Torr) and a speed of 1 m3/h, along with a KF-16 flange pump inlet
- Access to turbomolecular vacuum pump (Lake Shore TPS-FRG or similar) capable of doing better than 1.33 × 10-3 Pa (10-6 Torr) for annual evacuation of transfer line vacuum space
- N2 storage Dewar (Lake Shore 1220-50 or similar) with top withdraw fitting to accept the 12.8 mm (0.5 in) diameter transfer line—the transfer line furnished with the 86-CRYO cryostat is particularly well adapted for use with 25 to 60 L storage vessels, and can be readily adapted to other capacity storage vessels (in most cases, a LHe Dewar will be provided by your local liquid gas distributor when LHe is delivered)
- Gas cylinder with 1 to 5 psi pressure regulator to deliver clean, dry helium or nitrogen gas (depending on liquid cryogen)
86-VTA temperature option kit
The autotuning cryogenic temperature controller is used to measure and control our full suite of variable temperature options. The 86-VTA includes a Lake Shore temperature controller, thermocouple input card (when purchased for use with the high temperature oven or single stage variable temperature assembly), GlideLOCK alignment system mount, vacuum handling kit, mounting hardware, flanges, hoses, connectors, and accessories. Note: only one 86-VTA is required for all variable temperature options.
705 gas controller
The 705 gas controller was specifically designed to automate the gas handling for the temperature options. The 705 operation is controlled by the 8600 Series software and allows the user to have unattended operation from 4.2 K to 1273 K. In addition, when used in conjunction with the TPS-FRG turbomolecular pump, the 8600 system also monitors the vacuum space surrounding each temperature option to ensure insulation.
The vector option extends the VSM measurement capabilities to facilitate investigations of anisotropic magnetic materials, allowing you to determine their vector magnetization components and susceptibility tensor. When used in combination with autorotation, the vector coils provide information that is essentially identical to that provided by a dedicated torque magnetometer. The vector coils mount directly to the 86-VTA option for use with all temperature options or can be mounted to the 86-VEC-MOUNT (sold separately) for room temperature measurements.
The vector option mount is used to mount the vector coils in the magnetic gap when room temperature measurements are desired. For measurements in conjunction with a temperature option, the vector coils mount directly to the 86-VTA.
E2M 2-stage rotary vacuum pump
Capable of achieving a pressure below 0.67 Pa (5 × 10-3 Torr) at 1 m3/h, the 2-stage rotary vacuum pump is used for evacuating both the oven and cryostat vacuum spaces of our variable temperature options. This, or a similar vacuum pump, is required for daily operation of variable temperature options.
TPS-FRG turbomolecular vacuum pump station
Used to annually evacuate the cryogen transfer line of the optional cryostat and single stage variable temperature assembly (transfer line and kit are included with these options), the TPS-FRG provides vacuum to 1.33 × 10-3 Pa (10-6 Torr). In addition to annual cryogen transfer line maintenance, the turbomolecular vacuum pump can also be used in place of the E2M rotary vacuum pump for evacuating the cryostat vacuum space.
Lake Shore offers NesLab® recirculating chillers in order to provide a complete laboratory solution. The NesLab chillers feature a CFC-free refrigeration system.
The refrigeration system uses a hermetically sealed compressor and hot gas bypass system of temperature control. This system eliminates on/off cycling and premature wear of the compressor. Strong pumps provide continuous flow even through cooling lines with small IDs.